Bayer HealthCare is offering grants for researchers investigating novel drug targets in the field of the indicators listed below to promote innovative therapeutic ideas from basic research into novel drugs. Financial support will be provided to test your hypothesis, start or extend your present research activities. They are looking for novel targets for the following indicators:
- Oncology – focus on oncogenic signaling
- Gynecology – focus on novel treatment options for endometriosis (incl. adenomyosis uteri/endometriosis interna), uterine fibroids (uterine leiomyoma) and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Heart & Vascular Diseases – focus on Atrial Fibrillation, Chronic Heart Failure, Peripheral Artery Disease, Cardioprotective mechanisms
- Specialty Lung Diseases – focus on Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, Interstitial Lung Disease, COPD- Frequent Exacerbators, Chronic Cough, Pulmonary Hypertension
- Kidney Diseases – focus on Hypertensive Nephropathy, Diabetic Kidney Disease, Acute Kidney Injury, Chronic Allograft Nephropathy, Polycystic Kidney Disease
- Hemostatic & Acute Organ Disorders – focus on Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, DIC, SIRS, Acute Coronary Syndrome, Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation, Venous Thrombosis, Hemophilia A
What is a Target?
- Target must be a nucleic acid or a protein (e.g. an enzyme, a receptor) whose activity can be modified by a drug (drug can be a small-molecular-weight chemical compound or a biological, such as an antibody or a recombinant protein)
- Target should have shown to be effective/mechanistically involved in the disease by relevant in vitro or in vivo models
- Target is disease-modifying and/or has a proven function in the pathophysiology of a disease
Funding & Duration
Support grants: €5,000 – 10,000 (approx. AUD $7660 – 15,320) for druggable targets that are at a very early stage of discovery.
Focus grants: €10,000 – 125,000 (approx. AUD $15,320 – 191,550) for more mature ideas, e.g. to address specific aspects of a target as a first step towards transferring it to the drug discovery process.
Non-domestic Entities (Foreign Institutions) are eligible to apply.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
- Applications must be submitted for internal review by 24 March 2018
- Please complete your RFR through ResearchMaster. When prompted to Select Fund Scheme use Fund Scheme code ORG121791
- Submit an Application to Research Services for Review