The Department of Industry, Innovation & Science, in collaboration with the Chinese Ministry of Science & Technology, invites applications for its Young Scientist Exchange Programme (YSEP). This supports collaboration between Australia and China by enabling future science leaders from both countries to foster long term relationships.
The program aims to:
- Increase early to mid-career Australian and Chinese researchers understanding of the cultures, particularly the science and research practices and systems, of the two countries
- Develop the researchers’ leadership skills as future ‘science ambassadors’ for Australia and China
- Provide a catalyst for long-term, sustainable Australia-China research collaboration
YSEP also provides participants with exposure to higher order issues outside their scientific/technical specialty, including science and technology policy and best practice research management.
Australian participants will:
- Travel to China in the given travel period: 28 October 2018 – 9 November 2018. Please note that travel and visits must be undertaken during this period
- Participate in a telephone pre departure session in Australia; attend an orientation session upon arrival in China in Beijing; present on their exchange experience at the concluding debrief session in the Shanghai region
- Undertake an individual program of research-related visits, meetings, seminars, workshops and symposia with Chinese partners, either in academic institutions and/or business and industry
Participants’ travel, accommodation and associated living costs will be covered by the program.
Australian applicants must be:
- Be Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents who do not have consolidated links with China and have not lived, studied or worked in China for longer than three months in total
- Be early to mid-career researchers. An early to mid-career researcher is defined as: A researcher who has had between three and ten years of research experience since the award of his/her PhD (or equivalent research qualification), with the PhD having been awarded between three and 15 years prior to the closing date for submission of applications
- Be employed by an Eligible Research Organisation OR be employed by industry/business in one of the approved research fields (natural and physical science disciplines, including technology and engineering).
- Not be an employee of a non-corporate Commonwealth entity under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013
- Not have previously participated in the Australia China Young Scientists Exchange Program
View the Application Guidelines (PDF) for further details.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
The Australian managing institution for submissions is the Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering (ATSE). ATSE will only accept three applications per eligible research or industry organisation. Research Services will therefore be responsible for coordinating an internal application process to put the strongest candidates forward.
As such, applicants are requested to submit a Notification of Intent via RME6 by COB Friday 9 March 2018.
- Contact a Grants Officer to discuss your application.
- See also Submitting an Application to Research Services for Review