The Australia-Germany Joint Research Co-operation Scheme is a joint initiative of Universities Australia and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), Germany’s national agency for the support of international academic cooperation.
The scheme supports exchanges for Australian researchers to spend time at partner institutions in Germany and for collaborating German researchers to spend time at Australian universities. Researchers must be working on a joint research project with their German counterparts, rather than simply furthering their own individual research in Germany. The inclusion of early career researchers is a significant focus of this scheme.
Funding & Duration
Support available through the scheme covers travel and living costs for the participating staff during their stay aboard.
The basic research costs (staff and equipment) on both sides of the research project are not funded. These funds must be secured from other sources.
The maximum duration of funding for a joint venture is two years subject to satisfactory reporting of the project outcomes of the first year. Initial project funding may be limited to one year.
Australian applicants must be:
- employed as an academic staff member in a teaching and research or research only role at the Australian university administering the application and with a contract at that university that is valid for the duration of the relevant funding period; or
- enrolled for the duration of the relevant funding period as a PhD or Research Masters student at the Australian university administering the application and part of a research project application submitted by an eligible staff member at that same university.
The scheme is open to Australian researchers at participating Australian universities in all academic fields involved in a collaborative project with German research partners.
Proposals must provide opportunities for exchanges between early career researchers. It is encouraged but not compulsory to be an ECR to apply.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
- Applications must be submitted for internal review by 8 June 2018
- Please complete your Research Funding Request (RFR) through ResearchMaster.
- When prompted to Select Fund Scheme use Fund Scheme code ORG12151
- Submit an Application to Research Services for Review