The National Gallery of Art, under its Centre for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts, invites applications for its senior fellowship programme. This supports full-time research in the visual arts. The programme offers four types of fellowship:
- the Paul Mellon and Ailsa Mellon Bruce senior fellowships support research in the history, theory and criticism of the visual arts including painting, sculpture, architecture, landscape architecture, urbanism, prints and drawings, film, photography, decorative arts, and industrial arts;
- the Samuel H Kress senior fellowships support research on European art before the early 19th century;
- the William C Seitz senior fellowships support research on modern and contemporary art.
Funding & Duration
One Paul Mellon fellowship and four to six Ailsa Mellon Bruce, Samuel H Kress, and William C Seitz senior fellowship are available, each worth up to USD $50,000 (approx. AUD $67,000). Fellows are expected to reside in Washington throughout the fellowship. They are also provided with a study-space, and receive allowances for accommodation and travel to conferences.
Eligible candidates must have held a PhD for five years or more at the time of application. Senior fellowships are awarded without regard to age or nationality of applicants.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
- Applications must be submitted for internal review by 8 October 2018
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are considering applying for this scheme.
- See also: Submitting an Application to Research Services for Review