Thomas Foods International (TFI) intends to support 2 x student scholarships, to be administered by the Playford Memorial Trust.
TFI is flexible regarding the nature of the projects and the level of study, i.e. Honours, Masters, or PhD.
This is a call for expressions of interest from researchers wishing to discuss potential student projects with Thomas Foods International.
About Thomas Food International
Thomas Foods International (TFI) is Australia’s largest 100% family-owned meat processor. TFI processes on average 120,000 sheep, goats and lambs and 5,000 cattle per week across the group to supply national markets and more than 85 overseas destinations. TFI operates three meat-processing plants in Australia, located at Murray Bridge and Lobethal in South Australia, and Tamworth in New South Wales.
With the recent fire destroying the Murray Bridge factory, TFI is developing a new factory that will be cutting-edge and best-practice for automated, smart processing. This provides an interesting opportunity for student projects.
Areas of Interest for Student Projects
Examples of project areas that could be attractive to TFI include (but are not limited to):
- Automation, engineering, robotics, machine learning.
- Processing – machinery and efficiencies.
- Smart tracking – e.g. tracking of stock as well as tracking the parts to the original carcass.
- Meeting export requirements and preferences (as they are expanding into new markets).
- Reproductive biotechnology – modifying animal traits, genetic characteristics, getting to market quickly.
- Smart packaging.
- Work Health and Safety and sanitation innovation.
- Development of value add products from agricultural waste – eg TFI grow potatoes.
Registrations of Interest
Any interested researchers should contact:
Vicki Evans, Scholarship Executive, Playford Trust Scholarship Committee
Mobile: 0419 509 989
Vicki can address any general questions about the Playford Trust scholarships, and put the researchers in contact with the Chief Operating Officer of TFI to follow up opportunities directly.