The US Department of Energy invites concept papers for its innovative design concepts for standard modular hydropower and pumped-storage hydropower funding opportunity. This supports research on design concepts for new standard modular hydropower systems and new use cases for pumped-storage hydropower that can improve electricity system reliability, resilience, and economics.
Applications may be submitted under two topic areas:
- facility design concepts for standard modular hydropower development, for proposals that aim to stimulate innovative designs for small, low-head hydropower facilities capable of lowering the capital costs and reducing the environmental impacts of development at new stream-reaches;
- new use cases for pumped-storage hydropower, for proposals that aim to develop innovative technology;
- concepts, analysis or enhanced modelling capabilities that define a new, updated role for pumped storage in the evolving electricity system in the US.
Funding & Duration
Up to 14 awards, worth between USD $500,000 and $1.25M (approx. AUD $688,000 and $1.72M) each, are available for up to two years. At least 20 percent of total allowable costs must be from non-federal sources.
US and foreign entities may apply independently or form a consortium. If non-US entities wish to apply as prime recipients and do not designate a US subsidiary or affiliate, they must explicitly request a waiver of this requirement in the application.
Submission Requirements & Due Dates
- 28 September 2018 – concept papers submitted to Sponsor.
- 16 November 2018 – full applications (by invitation only) submitted to Research Services internal review.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are considering applying for this scheme.
- See also: Submitting an Application to Research Services for Review