The US Department of Defense, under the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, invites applications for its automating scientific knowledge extraction funding opportunity. This supports the development of approaches to build, maintain and reason over rich models of complex systems by interpreting and exposing scientific knowledge and assumptions in existing model code and documentations, identifying new data and information sources automatically, extracting useful information from these sources, integrating this into machine-curated expert models and executing these models in robust ways.
Projects may address one of the following technical areas:
- machine-assisted curation – extract information from scientific model code, documentation and publications to create, maintain and update rich semantic representations of scientific models;
- machine-assisted inference – create and apply meta-process-models and ontologies for common model-based inference procedures used in complex systems analysis.
Funding & Duration
Multiple awards are anticipated. Grants are each worth up to USD $1M (approx. AUD $1.37M).
All responsible sources capable of completing the project may apply.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
- Applications must be submitted for internal review by 10 September 2018
- Please email email@example.com if you are considering applying for this scheme.
- See also: Submitting an Application to Research Services for Review