This supports the development of biomarkers for Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias accessible from the periphery.
Two types of awards are available:
- proof-of-principle awards for exploratory analyses of biomarkers at a small scale; and
- validation awards for biomarker testing at a larger scale.
Proposals may address a range of potential clinical uses, especially tests for early screening and diagnosis, clinical trial enrichment, quantification of patient responses to therapeutics, or prediction of conversion from mild cognitive impairment to Alzheimer’s disease. Proposals addressing blood and other peripheral markers, including saliva, urine and ocular biomarkers are encouraged.
Funding & Duration
The proof-of-principle awards are worth up to USD $500,000 (approx. AUD $693,000) each, and the validation award amounts depend on the stage and scope of research. Projects that succeed in the proof-of-principle stage may be eligible for follow-on funding in the form of a validation award.
Researchers and clinicians worldwide may apply. They may be based at academic medical centres, universities, non-profit organisations or biotechnology companies. Industry partnerships are strongly encouraged.
Submission Requirements & Due Dates
- 14 September 2018 – Letter of Intent (LOI) submitted directly to the Sponsor
- 9 November 2018 – full applications submitted for internal review.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are considering applying for this scheme.
- See also: Submitting an Application to Research Services for Review