The Open Society Foundations invites applications for the Soros justice advocacy fellowships. These support US criminal justice reform research at the local, state and national levels. Projects may range from litigation to public education to coalition-building, grassroots mobilisation, and policy-driven research.
There are two advocacy fellowship tracks:
- track I – for people at the earlier stages of their careers in the field of criminal justice reform and who demonstrate the potential to develop into leaders in the field;
- track II – more experienced individuals with a proven record of achievement and expertise.
Projects that demonstrate a clear understanding of the intersection of criminal justice with the particular needs of low-income communities, communities of colour, immigrants, LGBTQ people, women and children, and those otherwise disproportionately affected by harsh or unfair criminal justice policies, are encouraged.
Funding & Duration
Track I fellows each receive USD $87,000 (approx. AUD $121,000), and track II fellows each receive USD $120,000 (approx. AUD $167,000).
Both receive project-related expenses. Funding is for 18 months.
Applicants may be based outside the US provided their work directly relates to a US criminal justice issue.
Track I applicants must have at least two years of relevant experience, which may include full-time and part-time employment, paid or unpaid internships, sustained volunteer work or other pertinent experience. This track is intended for applicants at a range of phases in their careers including recent postgraduates, advocates with a few years of work experience, and those beginning to work on criminal justice reform issues after a career in another field or after some other life experience.
Track II applicants must have at least 10 years of relevant advocacy experience, and, ideally, be individuals who have distinguished themselves on a local, state or national level.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
- Applications must be submitted for internal review by 15 October 2018
- Please email email@example.com if you are considering applying for this scheme.
- See also: Submitting an Application to Research Services for Review