The Ministry of Defence, under its Defence and Security Accelerator programme, invites proposals for its take cover – lightweight rapidly deployable protection on the front-line through field fortifications call. This supports the development of novel materials, designs and deployment technologies to improve protection of small groups of dismounted troops in the field from impacts such as those of ballistic, blast and directed energy threats.
Projects must address one or more of the following:
- novel materials, or combinations of materials, that protect against impact, small arms fire, heavy calibre rounds and fragmentation;
- innovative structures that can be easily stored, transported and rapidly deployed by troops in forward operating positions with minimal burden, including tools required for construction;
- novel ways to strengthen and support structures once deployed, such as bracing technologies and chemical curing.
Phase 1 of the competition is intended to fund novel approaches, in order to demonstrate proof-of-concept that can be further developed and integrated into a deployable solution in future phases.
Funding & Duration
Funding is worth between £50,000 and £120,000 (approx AUD $91,000 and $218,000) per project for six months.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
- Applications must be submitted for internal review by 17 October 2018
- Please email email@example.com if you are considering applying for this scheme.
- See also: Submitting an Application to Research Services for Review