These grants support researchers who want to establish or maintain longitudinal population studies for the benefit of the wider scientific community.
Funding & Duration
Two categories of funding are available:
- core support grants, supporting new and existing LPS such as cohorts, panel surveys and biobanks which may include some funds for answering scientific questions, though the majority of funds should be for core costs, worth up to £5M (approx. AUD $9.08M);
- enhancing value grants, supporting approaches that maximise the value of LPS including establishing governance structures, developing new methodologies to collect and analyse LPS data and bringing together data from across LPS and other sources to create new data resources, worth up to £1.5M (approx. AUD $2.73M).
The Wellcome Trust does not generally consider applications for less than £75,000 (approx. AUD $136, 000)
Teams consisting of researchers from the UK or low- and middle-income countries may apply, with co-applicants based anywhere in the world. All applicants must hold an academic post, research post or equivalent, have proven expertise and experience in their field, a track record in obtaining grant funding, and a salary or a guarantee of a salary, for the duration of the award. Proposed studies must take place in the UK or in low-or middle-income countries.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
- 7 November 2018 – Preliminary Applications submitted to Sponsor
- 12 February 2019 – Invited Applications submitted to Research Services for internal review.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are considering applying for this scheme.
- See also: Submitting an Application to Research Services for Review