The Australian Academy of Science invites applications from Australian researchers for the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Postdoctoral Fellowships 2019.
The JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Program for Foreign Researchers provides opportunities for Australian postdoctoral researchers to conduct, under the guidance of their Japanese hosts, cooperative research with leading research groups in universities and other Japanese institutions. The program aims to help researchers advance their own research while contributing to the advancement of research in Japan and Australia.
To allow the smooth process of research in Japan, sufficient consultation should be made between the candidate and his/her prospective host researcher in advance of the conditions at the host laboratory, including his/her status under the fellowship, and mutual agreement regarding these conditions should be established.
As a rule, the fellowship awardees (fellows) shall stay in Japan continuously during the tenure of their fellowships and concentrate on their research at the host institution. Fellows may, however, suspend their fellowships for the purpose of childbearing or infant nursing. Fellows must not engage in other work, either paid or unpaid, during their tenure.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified researchers in any field of natural sciences (including technology, engineering and medicine), the humanities and social sciences.
Funding & Duration
Fellowships are awarded for a period of 12 to 24 months and include:
- a round-trip air ticket (based on JSPS regulations)
- a monthly maintenance allowance of JPY ¥362,000 (approx. AUD $4,500)
- a settling-in allowance of JPY ¥200,000 for eligible recipients (approx. AUD $2,500)
- overseas travel accident and sickness insurance coverage.
Successful candidates must start the fellowship in Japan between 1 April and 30 November 2019.
- Candidates must be an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident living in Australia at the time of application.
Notes: If you were not born in Australia, please provide proof of Australian citizenship or Australian permanent residency. Persons of Japanese nationality are not eligible to apply, nor are those of dual nationality if one is Japanese. Also researchers who have permanent residency in Japan are not eligible.
- Candidates must hold a doctorate degree which must have been received on or after 2 April 2013 or be scheduled to receive a doctorate degree before the fellowship goes into effect.
Note: If the doctorate degree has not been awarded at time of application, the PhD thesis needs to have been awarded and a letter is required from the candidate’s institute stating the date that he/she will officially receive the degree.
- MD (medical doctor) holders without a PhD are not eligible.
- Candidates who have previously been awarded a fellowship under the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Program for Foreign Researchers or an STA Fellowship Program are not eligible.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
- Applications must be submitted for internal review by 14 November 2018
- Please complete your RFR through ResearchMaster. When prompted to Select Fund Scheme use Fund Scheme code 512932
- See also: Submitting an Application to Research Services for Review