The Ministry of Defence, under its Defence and Security Accelerator, invites proposals for its “stopping it in its tracks” call. This seeks to develop novel approaches to stopping or impeding tanks and other heavy armoured vehicles on the battlefield. The aim is to achieve this through harnessing advances in engineering, design, materials science, computing and non-kinetic weapons. Proposals should focus on one or both of the following challenge areas:
- physical barriers such as traps, blockage, interference with wheels or tracks, or reduction in ability to navigate grounds;
- invisible barriers or effects, for example, autonomous electromagnetic pulse or sonic-based systems.
Proposals are expected to detail how to reach and demonstrate proof-of-concept level of at least TRL 3 by the end of phase one. Proposals should be innovative for defence and security. Applicants should describe how the solution prevents or minimises collateral damage and detail how the solution will provide barrier or point effect and scalable area denial. Additional funding for subsequent phases to increase TRL further towards exploitation is anticipated to be available. Any further phases will be open to applications from all suppliers and not just those that submitted phase 1 successful bids.
Funding & Duration
The total budget for phase 1 is GBP £1M (approx. AUD $1.85M). Grants of between GBP £50,000 and £150,000 (approx. AUD $92,000 and $277,000) are available for around 10 proposals of six month duration.
Non-domestic (non-U.S.) Entities (Foreign Institutions) are eligible to apply.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
- Applications must be submitted for internal review by 1 November 2018
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are considering applying for this scheme.
- See also: Submitting an Application to Research Services for Review