The US Department of Defense (DoD), under the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, invites proposals for its call on photonics in the package for extreme scalability. This supports the development of package-level optical signalling technologies for advanced microelectronic systems to enable disruptive performance scaling through parallelism. Innovative proposals are sought in four technical areas (TA):
- TA1 (photonically-enabled MCMs): to develop high-performance optical input/output technology for co-packaging with state-of-the-art packaged integrated circuits;
- TA1B (defence applications and demonstration): to investigate the application of photonically-enabled multi-chip modules for DoD-specific use cases;
- TA2 (photonics for massive parallelism): to develop revolutionary new approaches to in-package optical input/output scalable to 1 Petabits per second aggregate bandwidth for future microelectronic systems;
- TA3 (interconnect fabrics): to develop key technologies to facilitate the use of package-level photonic input/output in future systems and amplify its impact.
Funding & Duration
The total anticipated budget is approximately USD $65M (approx. AUD $90.3M), and awards may last for up to 42 months.
Non-domestic (non-U.S.) Entities (Foreign Institutions) are eligible to apply.
Submission Requirements & Due Dates
- 20 November 2018, 1.00pm (US Eastern Time) – pre-proposal submitted via Grants.gov
- 10 January 2019 – full applications (by invitation only) submitted to Research Services internal review.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are considering applying for this scheme.
- See also: Submitting an Application to Research Services for Review