The Australian Research Council (ARC) is seeking nominations for membership of the ARC College of Experts. Nominations are sought from senior research academics with extensive peer review experience, with strong emphasis placed on multi-disciplinary and cross-disciplinary expertise. Nominations are welcome from all disciplines. Nominations from women, people of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander origin, and end-users across the private, public and not-for profit sectors are particularly encouraged.
The ARC engages College members to recruit and assign assessors and moderate external assessments of grant funding applications submitted under the National Competitive Grants Program. They also make funding recommendations to the ARC and provide strategic advice to the ARC on emerging disciplines and cross-disciplinary developments. Whilst a significant time commitment is required, participation in the ARC College provides valuable insight into assessment and selection of grant proposals, and ARC processes in general.
Nominees must demonstrate achievement in at least four of the following six selection criteria:
- Research Excellence;
- Specialist disciplinary expertise and generalist discipline knowledge;
- Professional and academic standing and reputation;
- Organisational and administrative leadership skills;
- Relevant experience in industry or public sector organisations;
- Experience in coordinating research activity (including an understanding of the needs of end users in higher education, business and industry, both nationally and internationally)
Membership of the ARC College of Experts requires a significant time commitment, including working to specified, non-negotiable time-frames. The ARC College of Experts meets in Canberra for approximately one week in May-June and one week in August each year to recommend applications for schemes under the National Competitive Grants Program. Members must be available to attend at least one of these meetings each year and undertake assignments, assessments, and moderations in preparation for the meetings. Members may be called upon to assign, read, and assess between 150 and 200 funding applications each year. The number of meetings, volume of assignments, and assessments vary per year according to the scheme and number of applications received from different discipline areas.
In all circumstances where members are assigning, assessing, or moderating, the ARC Conflict of Interest and Confidentiality Policy applies.
Members will be remunerated for sitting fees and reading rates. Sitting fees are guided by the ARC Administrative Arrangements for Committees and received per day for meetings attended. The ARC will cover reasonable travel costs for the attendance of selection meetings in Canberra, including international travel and visa application costs for Members based overseas.
Members are appointed for one year with annual extensions (subject to performance review) for a maximum period of three years. Successful nominees must be available to commence in November 2019 with an induction workshop scheduled in Canberra. Assignments and assessments of applications for funding will begin shortly after induction. Members must be available for one or two selection meetings held in Canberra each year and regular video conferences for meeting preparation.
Nomination Process & Deadlines
- Wednesday 5.00pm (ACST), 26 June 2019: nominations submitted to Research Services. Please ensure nomination emails include an endorsement from the relevant Head of School, to enable appropriate endorsement and Certification by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor & Vice-President (Research).
- Friday 5.00pm (AEST), 5 July 2019: nominations completed and submitted online through RMS. Please email Research Services notifying them of your completed submission to RMS (this is mandatory).
- Approved Nominator
For all University of Adelaide staff the Approved Nominator on the online form must be listed as:Deputy Vice-Chancellor & Vice-President (Research)
Professor Mike Brooks
Tel: 08 8313 5665
- Nomination Kit (PDF)
- Nomination Instructions (PDF)
- Visit the ARC College of Experts website
- General Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org