The Australian Academy of Science invites nominations from Australian-based early career researchers to attend the 70th Meeting of Nobel Laureates in Lindau from the fields of physics, chemistry, medicine and physiology, to be held in Lindau, Germany, 28 June – 3 July 2020.
Financial support is provided through the Science and Industry Endowment Fund.
Funding & Duration
The successful candidate will receive a grant-in-aid from the Academy of up to $6,750 (GST exclusive) towards the cost of:
- an international return economy airfare from Australia to the international airport closest to Lindau (up to $3,500);
- participation (including accommodation) in the Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting (up to $3,250); and
- a $500 travel grant and registration to attend Science at the Shine Dome, an annual celebration of science held at the Australian Academy of Science in Canberra (this is where the pre-Lindau briefing will be held).
All successful candidates are expected to attend the full program of events of the 70th Lindau Nobel Laureates Meeting.
Ideal applicants will demonstrate a strong commitment to their principal field of studies and to interdisciplinary work, for example by double degrees or interdisciplinary projects.
The application must be submitted by the Research Office (or equivalent) of the institution. Each institution is limited to applying for two grants on behalf of two early career researchers.
- Applications are open to eligible Australian-based early career researchers, specifically:
- applicants currently enrolled in a research higher degree* at an Australian University
- applicants who have (1) undertaken a research higher degree* and the applicant’s most recent higher degree has been conferred for less than three years and are (2) working in an Australian university, Australian publicly-funded research organisation or research-focused institution.
The above must be current at the date of the Lindau Meeting. Please note that selection will favour applicants currently undertaking doctoral studies or postdoctoral fellowships.
- Applicants must be aged 35 years or younger at the time of the meeting.
- Applicants will not hold a permanent position (in particular professorships).
*Master of Philosophy (MPhil), Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or a Postdoctoral Fellowship.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
Please note: each institution is limited to applying for two grants on behalf of two early career researchers.
Please notify Research Services of your intent to apply by emailing email@example.com by 6 September 2019 stating:
- the name of the researcher;
- qualifications; and
- a paragraph of why they wish to attend, and the importance and benefit of them attending.
Short-listed applicants will be invited to submit a full application.