The LIEF scheme provides funding for research infrastructure, equipment and facilities that can be shared between higher education organisations and also with industry.
Funding & Duration
The minimum grant under LIEF is $150k. Funding is normally for one year only and is not recurrent, except where international agreements and national facilities are involved.
The LIEF Scheme will fund up to a maximum of 75% of the direct cost of purchasing the infrastructure, equipment or facilities. The ARC requires that at least 25% of the direct cash cost of the infrastructure must be contributed by the collaborating organisations. The University of Adelaide has specific expectations on the level of cash support to be included in LIEF proposals, detailed in Appendix 1 of the ARC LIEF Information Sheet.
|Stage 1 – LIEF bids led by The University of Adelaide or other organisations|
|Researcher submits Notification of Intent (NOI) to Research Services through RM6.||25 November 2019
|Researcher submits Expression of Interest (EOI) spreadsheet to firstname.lastname@example.org.||7 February 2020
Late applications will not be accepted
|Schools/Faculties consider LIEF EOIs & provide details of proposals endorsed & anticipated support to Research Services.||21 February 2020|
|DVCR reviews School/Faculty/Institute contributions/rankings & makes final recommendation on University contribution.||6 March 2020|
|Stage 2 – LIEF full application submission|
|LIEF scheme proposals open in RMS.||29 January 2020|
|Request not to assess due to email@example.com (for submitting to ARC).||11 March 2020|
|Complete and final ARC LIEF applications
|Review deadline: 11 March 2020
Final deadline: 1 April 2020
Submitting an Expression of Interest Form
The University needs to ascertain what areas and groups are intending to apply for LIEF funding in 2021 in order to arrange necessary co-investment and joint bids with other SA universities (Flinders and University of South Australia); therefore an EOI must be submitted:
- Complete the LE21 EOI Excel form and attach it to your Notification of Intent eForm and submit to Research Services by COB 25 November 2019.
- Proposals open in ARC’s application system (RMS) on 29 January 2020.
- Late EOIs will not be considered.
- The University of Adelaide LIEF 2021 Internal Information Sheet contains important information regarding University co-funding and leverage requirements, internal processes and timelines.
- Instructions and links to the ARC’s LIEF Grant Guidelines for 2021 will be available on the Research Services website when the scheme opens.
- The LIEF Instructions to Applicants for 2021 are not yet available. Further information will be circulated as it becomes available.
- General enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org