The Australian Flora Foundation was established in 1981 with the aim of fostering scientific research on the biology and cultivation of Australian plants. Applications for grants to support original scientific projects on the biology and cultivation of Australian plants are invited from research workers in Australia. Applications must be either for a Malcolm Reed (Large) Grant or a Small Grant – the same project cannot be submitted to both programs.
Funding & duration
Malcolm Reed (Large) Grants: to support projects for up to 3 years. Grants can be a minimum of $20,000 up to a maximum of $60,000, spread over the time period of the project.
Small Grants: to support projects for up to 2 years. Grants can be a minimum of $5,000 up to a maximum of $20,000, spread over the time period of the project.
Applications for $20,000 may be lodged under one scheme only.
- The Australian Flora Foundation will consider relevant applications, with special interest in the following categories:
- conservation of Australian plant diversity, particularly where there are threats from climate change
- the cultivation of Australian plants, to ensure their survival and reduce the threat to native ecosystems
- rare and endangered plants.
- All applications on rare and endangered plants should indicate how the research relates to the known management plan for the species.
- The Foundation does not fund conference travel, publication costs, research on orchids or taxonomy. It gives a low priority to flora surveys or studies of marine plants.
- Projects which will be part of an ARC Linkage Project will also be considered, but AFF funding will be dependent on ARC support for the Project.
- Projects must be scientifically sound and aim to provide outcomes within the period of the grant.
- Applicants must be suitably qualified or identify a qualified project supervisor.
Submission requirements & due date
- Applications must be submitted for internal review by 11 March 2022
- Please complete your RFR through ResearchMaster. When prompted to Select Fund Scheme use Fund Scheme code 514121.
- See also: Submitting an application to Research Services for review
- See the call for applications for more information
- Visit the website for more information about the Foundation
- General enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org