Travel Story: Dr Lachlan Moldenhauer

Lachlan MoldenhauerDr Lachlan Moldenhauer from the Robinson Research Institute’s Reproductive Immunology Research Group attended the Inflammation in Reproduction, Pregnancy and Development symposium in Palm Cove, Queensland in August 2016.

Lachlan was invited to give a talk on his research Repeated seminal fluid exposure progressively expands the Treg cell population in mice.

This is what Lachlan had to say about his experience:

What was a highlight of the conference?

Seeing such a wide range of talking focusing on all the roles of the immune system in reproduction, from embryo development and implantation, placental development, pre-eclampsia, preterm birth, neonatal and paediatric health and male infertility.

Did you meet any researchers or collaborators of significance? Why are they important to your work?

This conference gave me the opportunity to speak to Prof Shigeru Saito from Japan for the first time in many years. I have previously visited his lab. His work is similar to ours, looking at the role of seminal fluid in activating paternal antigen-specific Treg cells, therefore his work is of great interest to us.

I also had the chance to speak to Jelmer Prins, a Dutch clinician, who previously did part of his PhD in our lab, and is an ongoing collaborator, with one of his PhD students spending time in our lab over 2015-16.

How will the experience support you and your research going forward?

Attending the conference gave me the first opportunity in several years to see researchers in the reproductive immunology field, as recently I have been attending general immunology conferences. I received some useful feedback from my talk which has led to us undertaking more experiments to gain a deeper understanding of Treg cell regulation during early pregnancy, which will strengthen our paper.

What was the most exciting thing you learned/experienced at the Conference?

We got to stay in the penthouse with our own pool!

This entry was posted in Travel Story. Bookmark the permalink.