Travel Story: Dr Mitchell Goldsworthy

Dr Mitchell Goldsworthy from the Robinson Research Institute’s Neuromotor Plasticity and Development (NeuroPAD) Research Group attended the Australasian Brain Stimulation Meeting in Melbourne in July 2016.

Mitchell was invited to give a talk on his research Reduced neuroplasticity in the ageing dorsolateral prefrontal cortex: a possible early marker of memory decline and participate in a scientific debate on rTMS is better than tDCS in treating neuropsychiatric disorders.

This is what Mitchell had to say about his experience:

What was a highlight of the conference?

The presentation by Dr Nigel Rogasch, which examined in detail the strengths and limitations of combining transcranial magnetic stimulation and electroencephalography.

Did you meet any researchers or collaborators of significance? Why are they important to your work?

Dr Ann-Maree Vallence and Dr Hakuei Fujiyama (Murdoch University, WA), Dr Mark Hinder (University of Tasmania), A/Prof Jennifer Rodger (University of Western Australia). We discussed a new collaborative network spanning four universities from three states and established a framework for aligning our research objectives to optimise future outcomes.

Dr Ashleigh Smith from the University of South Australia, ageing and dementia research fellow based in Adelaide. We discussed new possibilities for collaboration.

Did you visit any other labs or research facilities? How these visits will be useful to your work and/or career development?

I visited and toured the research facilities of the Monash Institute for Cognitive and Clinical Neuroscience. During my visit, I met with collaborator Dr Nigel Rogasch who provided training with his recently developed analysis toolbox. This training will be extremely beneficial for facilitating future research.

How will the experience support you and your research going forward?

This travel enabled me to establish new collaborations, providing significant opportunities for me to expand my research output and national profile.

What was the most exciting thing you learned/experienced at the Conference?

The breadth of brain stimulation research currently being conducted in Australia.

What was the most interesting or unexpected moment of your travel?

The most interesting part of my travel was being able to meet with inter-state collaborators that I rarely get to see. Also, I think it was a little sunny for one of the three days I was there – somewhat unexpected for Melbourne in July.

This entry was posted in Travel Story. Bookmark the permalink.