Travel Story: Dr Amanda Highet

Amanda HighetDr Amanda Highet from the Robinson Research Institute’s Placental Development Research Group attended the Australian and New Zealand Placental Research Association (ANZPRA) Satellite Meeting and the Joint meetings of Joint Annual Scientific Meetings of the Endocrine Society of Australia, the Society for Reproductive Biology in Gold Coast in August 2016.

Amanda presented her research on Nuclear factor (erythroid-derived 2)-like 2 (NFE2L2/NRF2) regulated antioxidant and phase II detoxification gene expression in first trimester placenta.

This is what Amanda had to say about her experience:

What was a highlight of the conference?

I really enjoy seeing what other RRI researchers are working on and how it fits within the wider reproductive biology field. Conferences also provided great opportunities to catch up with co-workers socially and get to know each other outside of work.

Did you meet any researchers or collaborators of significance? Why are they important to your work?

I spoke with researchers from Griffith University who are looking at mitochondria function in placenta in response to oxidative stress. As they are working on a similar project to my own, we discussed how our findings correlate and what future work would benefit both groups.

How will the experience support you and your research going forward?

It is important for me to make myself known in the reproductive biology community because papers and grant applications that I write could potentially be reviewed by these individuals. Also, when I presented my poster, other people working in related areas made some good suggestions for other experiments I could do to make the work I presented into a really good paper for publication.

What was the most exciting thing you learned/experienced at the Conference?

The ANZPRA satellite is always my favourite part of the SRB conference because I get to find out what’s the latest in placenta research.

What was the most interesting or unexpected moment of your travel?

As it was a joint conference between SRB, ESA and ANZBMS, I went to some sessions that were completely out of my field and learned about some different research on dinosaur locomotion, scurvy in excavated ancient human remains and a potential role for BPA chemicals in autism.

This entry was posted in Travel Story. Bookmark the permalink.