Caring for Self and Others

The biggest lesson I’ve learned so far this semester has nothing to do with anything my lecturers and tutors have spoken about in class. With everything that’s been going on at home and the way I’ve been going back and forth between studying in the city and helping my family back on the farm, I’ve realised how important it is to take the time to check in with yourself and make sure you’re doing okay.

It’s a lesson I’ve learned the hard way. For a while there, I was so stressed and determined to be there for my family that I wasn’t taking care of myself. I was eating a lot of junk food, when I remembered to eat at all, and I wasn’t getting anywhere near enough sleep. I also shied away from my friends and bottled up my feelings. Poor Brainy was all over the place! What’s worse is that by neglecting to think about my own wellbeing, I was too wrecked to be of use to my family and I could barely stay awake in lectures, let alone focus on what the lecturer was saying.

By happy coincidence, Mental Health Awareness Week is coming up from 9 – 13 October, and this year the focus is on taking charge of your mental health by knowing what services and supports are available to you. This includes everything from your friends and family, to online resources and mental health professionals. The uni is running a series of events to help students find our support team, and you can find out more on the uni’s Mental Health Awareness Week 2017 web page. Honestly, it couldn’t come at a better time!

This entry was posted in Study Matters and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.