So Long, and Thanks for all the Grass!

goodbyeFriends, I have bittersweet news to share. After months of feeling torn between finishing my degree and going back to work on my family’s farm, I’ve decided not to return to uni next year. This will be my last post.

Phew. That was hard to type, but it feels right. If I’m honest, it’s felt right for a while, but it’s such a big change, and Brainy needed time to come around to it. My future still feels like a big question mark. Although, that’s starting to seem like a good thing. All semester I’ve been stuck thinking that I only have two options: finish my studies or work for the family business. But the possibilities are endless, and that’s why I can’t come back; I need to find out if the grass really is greener elsewhere.

I had a big chat about it all with Ewe-nice after my exam last week. She didn’t say much at the time and just let me talk, but later that same night she sent me a text.

It said: “‘Tis not too late to seek a newer world.”

I googled it, and it’s a quote from the poem “Ulysses” by Alfred Lord Tennyson. She’s such a nerd! But I keep turning the line over in my head, and I’ve realised Ewe-nice is right. There is still time to figure out what I want to do. I don’t have to have everything figured out just yet.

I’m going to work on the farm and save some money for a few months. Maybe travel for a bit. Perhaps I’ll come back to my degree in a year or two. Perhaps I won’t. Either way, I’ve loved sharing my story with you and wish you all the best with whatever you’ve got planned for next year.

If you’d like to follow along with the adventures of some of my fellow (human) students, head on over to their new blog. They called it What Messes with Your Head?, and I think that sounds just about right.

This entry was posted in Study Matters and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response

1. Vicki says:

I’ll miss you – good luck 🙂