Fifteen senior secondary subjects across English, Mathematics, Science, History and Geography have been endorsed by the council of federal, state and territory education ministers as the agreed and common base for the development of state and territory senior secondary courses. English, Mathematics, Science and History subjects were endorsed in December 2012, and Geography was endorsed in July 2013.
The Australian Curriculum will be integrated into senior secondary SACE subjects in two phases:
- Phase 1: English and Mathematics subjects – Stage 1 will be taught in 2016 and Stage 2 in 2017.
- Phase 2: Science subjects, History subjects, and Geography – Stage 1 will be taught in 2017 and Stage 2 in 2018.
In 2016, University Senior College commenced the integrated Australian Curriculum for Year 11 students in English and Mathematics in the following subjects:
- English as an Additional Language (similar to English as a Second Language ESL 2015)
- General Mathematics (similar to Mathematical Applications 2015)
- Mathematical Methods (similar to Mathematical Studies 2015)
- Specialist Mathematics (must be taken with Mathematical Methods)
These subjects have been chosen to continue to offer USC students the appropriate pathways and preparation for University study. These subjects continue at Stage 2 in Year 12 2017, with Stage 2 English students able to select from either Stage 2 English or Stage 2 English Literary Studies in subjects similar to English Communications 2015 and English Studies 2015 respectively.
Pathways can be summarised as follows:
|Stage 1 (Year 11) 2016||Stage 2 (Year 12) 2017|
|English||Either: English or English Literary Studies|
|English as an Additional Language||English as an Additional Language|
|General Mathematics||General Mathematics|
|Mathematical Methods||Mathematical Methods or General Mathematics|
|Specialist Mathematics (must be taken with Mathematical Methods)||Specialist Mathematics (must be taken with Mathematical Methods)|
Members of the English and Mathematics faculties of USC have taken part in professional development over the course of 2015 to prepare the programs of study for these new curricula. Significant time has been allocated in 2016 to support our teachers as they implement their new subjects. It should be noted however that the actual changes to the content of subjects tend to be minimal and students will be well supported in their learning.
Some points to note:
- The Senior Secondary Australian Curriculum has been integrated into the South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE).
- The SACE Board continues to oversee the content and assessment of these new subjects.
- The assessment processes continue in the ratios:
– Stage 1: 100% school-based
– Stage 2: 70% school-based; 30% external assessment (examination)
- External exams in Stage 2, 2017 will continue to be administered by the SACE Board.
Phase 2 preparations will commence in February this year in the subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Ancient Studies, Modern History and Geography. Teaching programs for Phase 2 subjects with the integrated Australian Curriculum will commence at USC in 2017 at Stage 1 (Year 11), followed by Stage 2 (Year 12) in 2018.
Further information is available at:
SACE Board website: https://www.sace.sa.edu.au/learning/australian-curriculum
Australian Curriculum website: http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/seniorsecondary/overview
Please feel free to email me direct at email@example.com if you have specific questions you would like answered. You may also wish to speak with your son or daughter’s teacher or mentor.
Director of Teaching & Learning
University Senior College