What’s this blog about?

The title of this blog comes from a quote from the Dodecahedron in the book The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster:

As long as the answer is right, who cares if the question is wrong. If you want sense, you’ll have to make it yourself.

And that’s what this blog is about: me trying to make sense for myself. Here I talk about all the things in my life and how they relate to maths and teaching and learning. (Please note that all content in this blog is my opinion and may not represent the University of Adelaide’s views, nor any of its other staff or clients.)

The posts are put into categories based on what I have decided they relate to. Here are the categories:

Being a good teacher

Anything about what I should be doing as a teacher next time I interact with a student or make a resource for students.

How people learn (or don’t)

Anything about how people learn — mostly how they learn maths — or how they get blocked from learning.

Isn’t maths cool?

Anything about maths concepts or processes that I think is really cool.

Thoughts about maths thinking

Anything about the thinking processes required to learn and do maths, especially those about problem-solving and communicating.